Saturday, March 5, 2011

Canberran Culinary Capers

Flew to the capital for work this week. And as anybody familiar with Canberra would know, there isn't all that much really interesting stuff to do over there, apart from visit a few popular attractions and landmarks (which I had no time to), and sample the local cuisine (which I actually did to some extent).

Now, because my hotel room did not have any cooking facilities, I breakfasted for two days on instant kimchi soup noodles (which were actually not too bad). However, on my last day there I treated myself to scrambled eggs on toast and a long black at the local milk bar - at AUD$11.50, it was quite possibly the most expensive breakfast I have ever had.



Dinner-wise, on the first night, I ordered Indian takeaway - pulao rice and fish kebabs. Said fish kebabs would have been more properly classified as fish cookies (AUD$6.50 for two!!!!!!!). Another meal was more memorable - a mate and I had dinner at Mecca Bah, where I ordered a rather good lamb tagine. Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me to take a photo (just picture lamb pieces in a tomato-based sauce with fresh parsley on top). That same evening,  we visited the masjid in Yarralumla for Maghrib prayers - viewed from the main entrance at sunset, it was stunningly beautiful but I FORGOT TO TAKE PHOTOS AGAIN!!!!!! (but you can find a couple of snaps over here)

Fortunately, I did take a few snaps of the most visually pleasing meal I had there. It was very tasty as well - the mamaris (veal with smoky eggplant mash) with a couple of colleagues at Turkish Pide House. And so it is with these,  that I close this post.....


No comments:

Post a Comment